Bob Clyatt is known for conceptual contemporary installations with foundations in longstanding sculptural forms. His work explores issues of divisiveness, power and the role of character in a society. He was born in Oakland, CA and lives and works in Rye, NY and Chelsea, Manhattan. His work has been exhibited in solo shows in Santa Fe (Jane Sauer Gallery) and New York (Lower East Side-Dacia Gallery and Bushwick- Anthony Philip Fine Art) as well as group shows in Paris, Hong Kong, Italy and throughout the U.S. His sculptures are in permanent collections of the Burchfield-Penney museum in Buffalo, NY and Museo Arte Contemporanea Sicilia in Italy. The work has been reviewed in numerous art publications including Hyperallergic and featured in the NY Times, Wall St Journal, Fox News and other national media.
Bob Clyatt spent 8 years in formal study of sculpture, centering on his years at the Art Students League of New York, principally in the studio of Barney Hodes. As a young artist in St Paul de Vence, France in 1980, Bob stayed with James Baldwin who taught him about creating art with a human purpose.
For my wall-mounted Cscape relief series I directly sculpt a mold of each piece in clay, using a wide range of techniques from 3-d printing to traditional carving and modeling. From this clay mold I make a single cast in a blend of super-hard plasters and white Carrara marble, taken from the same quarries where the Romans and Michelangelo got their stone. The piece reads like marble, carved to a previously unachievable level of contemporary detail. My figurative works are modeled in clay and either fired directly with a range of ceramic glazing methods or cast into bronze and other metals.
Recent News and Upcoming Exhibits
A Celebration of James Baldwin, Readings and discussion by Douglas Turner and Bob Clyatt, closing reception of "A More Human Dwelling Place", Sunday July 30, 5-6pm at Anthony Philip Fine Art, 56 Bogart St, Bushwick.
Bushwick: "A More Human Dwelling Place", New wall-mounted relief sculptures by Bob Clyatt. Opening Friday June 30, 6-9pm at Anthony Philip Fine Art, 56 Bogart Street, Bushwick. Through July 30, 2017. Catalog Flipbook.
Chelsea: Bob has studio/installation space at 526 W 26th St #302. Please contact him to schedule an appointment if there are specific works you are interested in seeing.
Two of Bob's works were recently acquired by museums for their public collections: Burchfield Penney Museum in Buffalo, NY received Man on Raku Pillar, Looking to Side II as part of the gift by Bob's collector Dean Spong of the Spong Collection of Figurative Sculpture. Museum of Contemporary Art of Sicily in Catania acquired Nursing Mother with Smartphone for their growing collection of contemporary figurative art.
Bob was accepted into the New England Sculptor's Association, Dec 2015 winning best of show at the annual members exhibition in Lowell, MA December 2016.
Image of Bob's studio and his comments were included in Sculpture Magazine's article about IS Day events, Sept 2015.
Review of Unstructured Presence in Fine Art Connoisseur, June 2015
Bob's 3 Hanging Butoh Figures in collectors Robert and Linda Greenspan's home was featured in a Wall Street Journal article, June 10, 2014. View overlooking Central Park, NYC.
Anthony Philip Fine Art, 56 Bogart St, Bushwick, NYC
Bruce Lurie Gallery, 2736 S La Cienega Blvd, Los Angeles
Video of the new (E)scape -New Faces sculptures- Bob moving them around via forklift soon after they arrived from foundry, October 2014.
Curator's walkthrough with Bob Clyatt of Beyond Rodin from
The Great Nude.
Selected awards, one-person and group exhibitions
Selfie Show, Schelfhaudt Gallery, University of Bridgeport, 84 Iranistan Ave. Bridgeport, CT. Curated by Peter Konsterlie and and Dominic Lombardie. Feb,March
- Bob had five bronze works in After Rodin at Gallery Flux in Ashland VA, Jan 14-Feb 27 held in conjunction with Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond's exhibition, Rodin, Evolution of a Genius.
- (E)scape- New Faces, two monumental cast aluminum heads, are installed at 123rdSt entrance to Marcus Garvey Park, Harlem, April to August., (Flux Art Fair). Profiled on NY1, NBC and Hyperallergic, May 2016
(E)scape- New Faces and Emma ((off-white resin cast monumental head) are installed flanking the front Monroe Street entrance of the DeVos Center, Grand Rapids , Michigan, during ArtPrize , September-October.
- Monumental bronze head, Emma, is installed at St Gaudens National Monument, Cornish, NH, May-Sept.
- Seated Monk, lifesize ceramic, is installed at Billings/Rockefeller National Park, Woodstock, VT, May-Sept.
- Three Hanging Butoh Figures (women) and Unstructured Presence in Go Figure, Governor's Island NYC, Sculptors' Alliance, June-July
- Man on Tall Pillar in “Art From the Boros IV”, Denise Bibro Fine Art, Chelsea July/August
- Cylinder/Heads in “In Our Back Yard”, Clay Arts Center, Port Chester, NY, curated by Judith Schwartz, Sept -Nov
- Bushwick: An installation of suspended hands from Field Notes, as well as a few small heads on pillars is included in "Life Sized: a Small Works Invitational" at Anthony Philip Fine Art, 56 Bogart Street, Bushwick. August 10-31.
-New England Sculptors Association (NESA), Brush Gallery, Lowell, MA. First prize for Emma (white), Nov, Dec 2016
2015 - Unstructured Presence, Figurative Works by Bob Clyatt, Dacia Gallery NYC, June 2-28
- Art in Clay III, Brooklyn Waterfront Artists, juror Judith Schwartz, Oct 3-25
- WHISPERING VOICES: a Ritual For Our Time, Last Frontier, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Oct 10-25 5-person installation performance inaugural exhibition for this new large performance space.
Bob had an installation of 7 pieces including new painted plaster works Richard and Autumn during Port of Angels, Dec 1-6, at Center for Visual Communication in Wynwood, Miami. Curated by Luis Calderon and Bruce Lurie.
- Treasury Bondage was in Call for Chelsea, (Re) Envision Art's Aura in the Age of TurboCapitalism, Galleria Ca d'Oro, 17-19 Dec, 529 W 20th St NYC. Curator: Mark Kostabi
- Nursing Mother with Smartphone is included in the museum show Sculpture and the Evolution of Materials, curated by Adriano Pricoco, Academy of Fine Arts Catania, at Museo MaCS, via Crociferi, Catania, Sicily. The work has recently been acquired for the museum's permanent collection.
- Video of Bob moving first casts of Fierce, October 2014
- Heads, a Retelling, Salena Gallery, Long Island University, Brooklyn Campus, curated by Mark LaRiviere, April 2-25
- 7th Annual Human Form Invitational, Hilliard Gallery, Kansas City, MO, curated by Bob Swearingen
- Christ Meditating illustrated an article in the June edition of Prabuddha Bharata, the oldest English-language magazine in India.
- Flying Man was published in Musee Magazine Spring 2014, Fantasy Issue, volume 2.
- Orchid Woman was in Encyclopedia Botanica at Arch Enemy Arts in Philadelphia, May 2-25.
- Asia Contemporary Art Fair Hong Kong, Art Alliance Gallery, May
- Two works in Emanation, Dacia Gallery NYC, June 12-July 6
- Two works in Pools & Beaches, Bruce Lurie Gallery, opening July 19.
- Wall Street Journal publishedphoto of 3 Hanging Butoh Figures in collector Robert Greenspan’s home overlooking Central Park NYC, June 10, 2014
- First Prize/Gold for Three Hanging Butoh Figures, Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition, Art in Clay II, Sept 27-Oct 26, curated by Lily Wei
- Brooklyn Museum, American Fine Craft Show, November
- Decoded, Bob Clyatt, Michael Ricardo Andreev and Sorin Abraham, Lambert Fine Arts, Jan 17-Feb 3, NYC
- Ancient Presence, New works by Bob Clyatt, Jane Sauer Gallery, Santa Fe, May 3-June 4.
- CutLog Art Fair, Lower East Side, NY, White Box/Lambert Fine Arts, May 10-13.
- FigLeaf was installed during productions of Off The Muff at White Box NY, June 27-29
- Museum of New Art (MONA) Detroit, Documenta USA, August-Sept 28
- Fountain Art Fair Chicago, Bridge, presented by Amanda Dickerson Projects, Sept 20-22
- Asia Contemporary Art Fair, Art Alliance Gallery, Hong Kong, October 3-6
- Salon d'Automne, 110th Anniversary Exhibition, Paris, Oct 26-Nov 3
- DDC New York showrooms- Featured Artist during Fall launch events.
- Dacia Gallery, Black and White (Group Show) December-Jan 2014
- Red Dot Miami- Jane Sauer Gallery including featured installation of Treasury Bondage at fair entrance.
- "Bob Clyatt- New Works", 20 new works, American Craftsman Gallery at NYC Contemporary Arts Fair, Oct
- "A Show of Heads", SlowArt Productions, Limner Gallery, Hudson, NY Oct-Nov
- SOFA New York, Chicago, Maria Elena Kravetz Gallery, April (NY) Nov (Chicago)
- "Beyond Rodin, New Directions in Figurative Sculpture" Rye Arts Center, Rye, NY
- Fountain Art Fair, Lambert Fine Arts Gallery, Wynwood, Miami, December
- Sculptors Circle at Tompkins Square Library Gallery, NYC, Dec 1-28
- "Where Am I?", Tribes Gallery, NYC, November, 5-person show, curated by Jessie
Mac with Steve Cannon, showed Three Hanging Butoh Figures.
- PooL Art Fair- NY March- solo installation area within this fair.
- Hilliard Gallery-Kansas City, MO - March -- 4th Annual Human Form Show
- American Craftsman Gallery, NYC - April 14-May 28 - Solo Show - 22 Recent Works
- Reappearance of the Path Juried into Raku 500 by Lark books, published 2011
- Governors Island Art Fair, Curated by Robert Curcio, NYC
- Rye Town Park outdoor ceramic installation, Rye, NY "Our Institutions Fail (Us)"
- NY Sculptor's Alliance - 30th Anniversary Show, Tompkins Square Park Gallery, NYC
- Great Nude Invitational, Figurative Art Fair NYC
New institutional acquisitions include Amundson Sculpture Garden, Seattle, WA and
a new bronze piece installed in the office of the CEO of People's United Bank,
Gandhi show listing and feature photo of the sculpture in New York Times, Metropolitan Section, page 11, 6/7/09
Art Students League of New York -- Annual Show, Vitlacyl Campus-- December 11-
Jan 5 2008
MAcS - Museo Arte Contemporanea Sicila, Catania Italy
Burchfield-Penney Museum, Buffalo, NY
Amundson Sculpture Park, Seattle, WA
People's United Bank, Bridgeport, CT
Rye Presbyterian Church, Rye, NY
Mary and Amy Looker
Doug Brunt and Megyn Kelly
Louis and Adele Singer
Andrea Dibner and Gerard Orozco
Bob and Linda Greenspan
Bob and Nancy Steed
Scott Heffington/Rickey Medlock
Renata and Guillaume DeDalmas
Jane and Joel Schneider
Bill and Jane Pearson
Sarah Benecke and Ron Koyich
Selected Publications and Press Coverage-
Profile in The New York Optimist, a weekly culture and lifestyle online mag. Feb 6 2017
Bob's work in Hyperallergic article by Seph Rodney about Flux Art Fair- installations in Marcus Garvey Park, Harlem, April-August 2016
Image of Bob's studio and his comments were included in Jan Castro's Sculpture Magazine article about IS Day events, Sept 2015.
Article in Richmond Times Dispatch about the Gallery Flux exhibit, Feb 14 2016, with quotes and image of Bob's Eleanor in the Wind.
- Review of Unstructured Presence in Fine Art Connoisseur, June 2015
- Video by TheGreatNude of Bob's giving curator talk for Beyond Rodin - reached 800k views
- Christ Meditating was featured in an article in Prabuddha Bharata June 2014 p 40, the oldest English language magazine in India.
- Cojo Art Juggernaut interviewed Bob at the opening of Dacia’s Black andWhite show for Artiholics.com, December 19, 2013 and at Off the Muff opening at White Box, June 27, 2013
- Extensive review of Bob’s work in blog Steelewares.com, by sculptor Jonathan Steele, Dec 4, 2013.
- Times Square Chronicle article about Dacia Gallery Exhibit with interviews of several artists including Bob, Nov 2013
- Fox News ran a short feature on Treasury Bondage, May 10, 2013, and another one in mid-October during the debates about the debt ceiling.
- Pasatiempo Magazine, Santa Fe, ran a photo of Woman Holding Grain, and wrote about the Ancient Presence show, May 3, 2013.
- Bob was featured in a two-page profile in Sculpture News, a bi-monthly magazine published by National Sculpture Society, Jan/Feb 2013, p 11-12.
- WAG Magazine, February 2013, 2 page interview with photos of Bob sculpting.
- Western Art and Architecture used an image of Bob's Seated Man, Head on Knee in an article about SOFA Chicago, September 2012.
- American Art Collector used an image of Bob's lifesize chrome female nude Dance (I Am Not a Commodity) in an article about Art Palm Beach, December 2012. American Art Collector used several images (attributed) and wrote about Bob's work in two articles in 2012: Sculpture (June 2012) and The Figure (December 2012)
- The New York Times ran an extensive review of Beyond Rodin, the figurative sculpture show Bob curated and had a piece in, Metropolitan Section, Page 10, June 3, 2012. The Human Form, Unleashed, by Susan Hodara. TheGreatNude.tv ran a video interview with Bob on their site,
- Bob was selected by Artist-a-Day on March 2, 2012.
- Bob has work included in a new book Contemporary Sculptors by Danijela Kracun and Charles McFadden
-Profile in Eyes In design web magazine, 1/27/12
- An interview with Bob was published in New York's Art Newspaper CityArts, November 2011, on page 23.
- Eight of Bob's sculptures appeared in the romantic comedy Excuse Me For Living, starring Christopher Lloyd and Tom Pelphrey with Wayne Knight, Jerry Stiller, Ewa Da Cruz, Robert Vaughn and more. Released to festival circuit, cable/video and limited theatrical release in 2012.
- A lengthy interview with Bob about his work and contemporary figurative sculpture is published in The ArtBook Guy blog, 9/2011.
- Video of Bob's solo show at American Craftsman Gallery in NYC, featured on www.TheGreatNude.tv
- A photo of Gandhi was used for the book The Subtle Energy Body, by Maureen Lockhart.
- Bob's work and comments discussed in this syndicated design article by Rose Bennet Gilbert, Dec 2010.
-Rye Patch article about Bob's installation in Rye Town Park, 10/14/10
- New York Times, 9/12/10 Metropolitan Section, photo of Our Institutions Fail (Us) and description of installation at Rye Town Park.
- 500 Raku - Lark Books, Re-appearance of the Path included in this book published in 2011.
- Rye Record and Rye Soundshore Review - reviews of Our Institutions Fail (Us) / Heads-45 installation in Rye Town Park, Rye, NY, 8/2010
- Gannett Journal News, Best of Weekend, 8/2010, and sculptor profile, 8/2010, review of Our Institutions Fail (Us) Heads-45 installation in Rye Town Park.
-TS+ Projects blog article of studio visit- Jun 2 2010,